Kenneth (Kenny) Hammond
Proud Air Force Brat (Born on Plattsburg Air Force Base, Plattsburg, New York)
- Graduated from Warner Robins High School
- Mercer University- Bachelor of Science in Education
- American College of Education- Master of Education- Curriculum and Instruction
- In high school- Sears, Taco Bell, Waffle House
- 1980 – 1995 United States Air Force (Telephone Installation)
- 1995 – 2007 AT&T, Lucent Technologies, Avaya (Telephone/Computer Installation, Area Service Manager, Staff Manager- training and Environmental, Health, Safety)
- 2008 – Present Westside Elementary School
Quilting, Gardening, Cooking, and Acting
My wife, Rene’, knew I had a passion for teaching and the classroom. When she saw how unhappy I was with my job with corporate America, she encouraged me to finish my teaching degree. When it was time to do my student teaching, I quit my corporate job and finished my degree by student teaching at Linwood Elementary.
I graduated from Mercer University with my BSE in December 2007 and started teaching at Westside Elementary in January 2008. What a blessing that was. God led every step in my life to get me to the his point- from Active Duty Service member, up the ladder of corporate America, through college, to recommendation by the principal of Linwood ES to the principal at Westside ES and, in less than a month, being in the classroom!
I pursued my Masters degree in Curriculum and Instruction NOT to become an administrator, but to be a better teacher IN the classroom
I love teaching and I love my students- each one. I tell them when they leave the classroom each day that I love them. When their name comes up on the board at dismissal time I say, “Get out of my classroom!” They laugh and hug me and tell me they love me. At the end of the year each of them takes a piece of my heart. And at the beginning of the next school year- a new batch of children, nervous because I am usually their first “boy” teacher, and I’m tall 6’1”. Before long we're a classroom family… and more of my heart gets taken.
Son, Jason lives in Austin, TX with beautiful wife Nicole and my granddaughter Phoebe Jane.
Daughter, Mallory lives in Warner Robins with husband Jared Tucker, my grandson Levi Chevy, and granddaughter Lily Pearl.